The intern will assist in the development and writing of supportive documents for Ready.Set.Read! initiative that promotes reading proficiency by 3rd Grade.
According to the new 2012 PSSA data, 25% of Berks County 3rd graders are not reading proficiently and according to national statistics, children who are struggling to read by the end of third grade are four times more likely to drop out of high school. If they also live in poverty, they are 13 times more likely to drop out. These children represent urban, suburban and rural areas of the county. As the anchor organization for this important community initiative, United Way is mobilizing organizations, businesses and individuals to significantly and measurably move the needle on the number of Berks County children who are successful readers by the end of third grade. Key strategies for this initiative include one-on-one volunteer tutoring for struggling readers and other services and support for parents and children to increase literacy skills.
- Create and implement components of the initiative communication plan (i.e., mailings, flyers)
- Assist with creating and updating content for website
- Assist with writing and developing promotional and marketing materials (i.e., newsletter, volunteer recruitment resources)
- Standardize training materials
- Promote initiative using social media
- Additional activities as required for initiative implementation
- Current Junior or Senior
- Strong writing, verbal and communication skill
- Solid computer literacy and understanding of social media
- Ability to work in a team environment
Questions can be directed to Darby Wiekrykas, Volunteer Engagement Program Manager, DarbyW[at]uwberks[dot]org or 610-685-4574.
This internship is being funded by the Community Internship Program sponsored by Air Products.