Dear Professional Writing Program:
The library would love to have another PR/Writing intern in the Fall of 2010 if anyone is interested.
Intersted students may contact me directly (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Karen J. Wanamaker
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania
Rohrbach Library PR/Outreach Internship
Description: The Kutztown University library PR/Outreach intern will work closely with Professor Karen Wanamaker and the Dean of Library Services on library public relations projects. These projects may include written assignments, assisting with presenting workshops/training sessions, and/or attending campus events.
The ideal candidate will be extremely motivated and take the initiative to begin projects under direct supervision and though consultation with Professor Wanamaker. The focus will be on projects that are a part of the Library’s Outreach Plan or that will improve the Library’s current projects, goals, and objectives.
Supervision: The internship is supervised by Karen Wanamaker, chair of the library’s Public Relations Committee.
Hours: The intern will work between 150 and 450 hours during the internship semester in the library’s Curriculum Materials Center office, where the Library’s outreach efforts are coordinated.
Unpaid Internships are offered in the fall and spring semesters.
• Professional writing major or public relations minor
• Coursework in writing for PR, journalism, and copy and line editing
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent skills in the Microsoft Office Suite
• Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop
• Microsoft Publisher experience
• InDesign experience
Duties/Responsibilities: These vary depending on the intern’s area of expertise, the Library’s current strategic goals, and the intern’s availability. Duties and responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
• writing/editing: newsletter articles, blog postings, fact sheets
• creating flyers, posters, and bulletin boards
• attending PR Committee meetings
• attending university events such as an involvement fair to help promote library services
The intern will, at all times, be expected to:
• display professional, clear verbal and written communication as she/he interacts with various offices and people on and off campus
• maintain good relations with faculty, staff, and patrons
• learn basic library policies and procedures so as to be able to refer patron questions to library employees
• become familiar with the specified/defined library activities as they relate to library outreach and to assist with basic office duties