Description: The Kutztown University library outreach/CMC intern will work closely with Professor Karen Wanamaker and the Dean of Library Services on library public relations projects. These projects may include written assignments, assisting with presenting workshops/training sessions, and/or attending campus events.
The ideal candidate will be extremely motivated and take the initiative to begin projects under direct supervision and though consultation with Professor Wanamaker. The focus will be on projects that are a part of the Library’s Outreach Plan or that will improve the Library’s current projects, goals, and objectives.
Supervision: The internship is supervised by Karen Wanamaker, Education Librarian and chair of the library’s Public Relations Committee.
Hours: The intern will work between 150 and 300 hours during the internship semester - the equivalent of 3-6 credit hours - in the library’s Curriculum Materials Center office, where the Library’s outreach efforts are coordinated. Unpaid Internships are offered in the fall and spring semesters.
• Professional writing major or public relations minor
• Coursework in writing for PR, journalism, and copy and line editing
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent skills in the Microsoft Office Suite
• Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop
• Microsoft Publisher experience
• InDesign experience
These vary depending on the intern’s area of expertise, the Library’s current strategic goals, and the intern’s availability. Duties and responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
• writing/editing: newsletter articles, blog postings, fact sheets
• creating flyers , posters, and bulletin boards
• attending PR Committee meetings
• updating Facebook and Twitter pages
• attending university events such as the Involvement Fair to help promote library services
The intern will, at all times, be expected to:
• display professional, clear verbal and written communication as she/he interacts with various offices and people on and off campus
• maintain good relations with faculty, staff, and patrons
• learn basic library policies and procedures so as to be able to refer patron questions to library employees
• become familiar with the specified/defined library activities as they relate to library outreach and to assist with basic office duties
For more information, or to apply, please contact Professor Karen Wanamaker, Education Librarian, at 610-683-4709 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to Karen Wanamaker; deliver it to her office in Rohrbach Library room 21, or send it to her via email. You must present a portfolio at the time of your interview.